YOU WILL DIE!
Have you ever asked yourself, “What happens after people die?” We all ponder this question. Actually, the question you should be asking yourself is, “What happens to ME as soon as I die?” Now you're getting a little too personal. It’s ME we’re discussing. The truth is, “You are going to die!” This is one appointment in life you will not miss. It can’t be avoided. From the day you were born you were a day closer to your death.
Proven facts about death?
- Your death is inevitable. There is a 100% chance you are going to die.
- You don't know when you will die. It could be today, but eventually it will happen.
- There is no guarantee of a long life. Look around. Babies, children, teens, young adults are dying daily around your city, your country and the world. You are not exempt!
Most people don’t think about dying until they get old. Some people try to suppress or deny it throughout their life, but their conscience still speaks to them. “Where DO I end up when I die…REALLY?” Let’s examine that.
SO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE?
Okay, so you know you'll die. The question on your mind right now should be, “Where do I go? Is there an afterlife?” A majority of people believe that when you die there is an afterlife, even though they may not be very religious people. People millenniums back knew of an afterlife. Look what the Egyptians did for their Pharaohs. Almost all religions today believe in an afterlife.
- Will you be reincarnated as an animal, a bird, or even another man or woman, as Hindus, Buddhists and New Agers believe? A little uncertainty, wouldn't you say.
- Do you cross your fingers as a good Muslim, hoping your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds as you stand before Allah? How good is good? Where does the scale tilt? (NOTE: Allah is not the same god that I worship as a follower of Jesus Christ.)
- Will your existence be snuffed out like a candle, as atheists or agnostics believe? Everything you've done means NOTHING.
There seems to be a lot of people with opinions on the afterlife, but they have never died and came back to life. I’m not talking near death experiences. I’m talking about a “lifeless body.” Only ONE individual can attest to this, and it’s not Buddha, Mohammed, Confucius, or any other religious leader. Jesus Christ is the only one who died and was resurrected from the dead, so He can tell us all the details about the afterlife… and He did.
HEAVEN OR HELL
What do you think of the Christian doctrine of having only one of two destinations after you die? NOT one of three destinations as some religions believe. During your life you will make many, many decisions but you only have one of two choices regarding YOUR eternal existence. Will you have eternal joy, peace and rest in heaven or will it be eternal torment in hell? Emphasis on ETERNAL.
Heaven? Heaven sounds good, but it seems so boring. Clouds, harps and wings as presented in cartoons. May I say, “You will be more alive and active in heaven then you ever were while living on this earth.”
Hell? Hmmmm. I’m not sure about that one. It sounds terrible. Fire, devil with a pitchfork, suffering forever. It sounds serious but far too many people joke about hell. “I’ll be partying with my friend down there” or “I’ll see you in hell.” It’s good for a laugh, but let me tell you that hell is not a laughing matter. The most malicious thing you can ever tell someone is, “Go to hell!” Think about that… earnestly think about that statement. Hell is a place of pure torment that I would not wish on any person. It breaks my heart when I think of all the people who will die today and are headed to an eternity in hell.
You may already have questions like:
- Will I go to hell because I don’t believe in all that Jesus stuff?
- Will I go to heaven because I'm a good person? I mean, I am good.
- Will there be a problem getting into heaven after I die and I speak to God?
These are some very important questions. Hopefully, I can help you through your concerns. Let’s grab our spiritual GPS and find out about “Death, Heaven and Hell.”
1 Peter 1:8-10 Though you have not seen Him (Jesus), you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation (rescue) of your souls.